Washington Title Bond

Communicate With UsIM or Email

Bond Penalty: One and one half times motor vehicle value

A Washington vehicle title bond is an option for motor vehicle owners that possess a defective title, the original has been lost or the where the document has been damaged by error. State statutes allow title bonding when the "ownership in doubt", defined as when a vehicle owner(s) is unable to obtain satisfactory evidence of ownership or releases of interest in the same. The Washington title bond procedure ins not required where no record exists of the vehicle in state records, the prospective owner has opted instead for a three year registration without title or where a court of competent jurisdiction has awarded the vehicle by order. A title bond applicant must submit the following items:

  • The originals or copies of letters sent by registered or certified mail to the registered and legal owners of record, including the return receipt. The letters must include information regarding the applicant's claim to ownership and a request for the released certificate of ownership (title) or a notarized or certified release of interest.
  • A title affidavit completed by the applicant and signed by all persons to be shown as a registered owner.
  • Washington state patrol inspection.
  • A legible etching or photograph of the VIN as proof of the VIN.
  • Application for certificate of ownership.

The Washington vehicle title bond must be issued on the form manuscripted and approved by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The surety bond must be executed by both the applicant and the bonding agent and specifically protect any previous owner, secured party, future purchaser, or their successors against any expense, loss, or damage, including reasonable attorneys' fees. The bond amount is addressed under RCW 46.12.680, and must be in issued in an amount equal to no less than one and one-half times the value of the vehicle. The vehicle value may be determined in three ways; the DMV's "automated valuing system" found here, appraisal from a licensed vehicle dealer or appraisal company, or a published appraisal guide such as Kelly Blue Book (KBB) or National Auto Dealers Association Guides (NADA).

As part of the certificate of title bond underwriting process we must request some evidence that the applicant legally possesses the motor vehicle. Examples of "ownership evidence" can be a bill of sale, power of attorney, receipt, canceled check or money order, temporary registration/maker, affidavit of legal possession or endorsed copy of at title. Need a bill of sale format? See "What We Need From You" on this page for a template.

Washington surety bond leader, Surety One, Inc. is a specialist in the bonding needs of motor vehicle dealers and private parties that wish to access the bonded title process. We offer same-day issue of motor vehicle title bonds in ALL states that require them. Questions about this or another surety bond? Call us at (800) 373-2804, email us at Underwriting@SuretyOne.com or click here for live chat about your Washington vehicle certificate of title bond requirement.

Surety bond application review and quoting are free of charge. There is no obligation to purchase.