City of Vancouver Contractor's License Bond (Right of Way Surety Bond)

Communicate With UsIM or Email

Bond Penalty: Set by City Code

A contractor seeking to accomplish work that encroaches on the public right-of-way in the City of Vancouver must file a contractor license bond along with his or her application to obtain permission to work. Per the city's website, "A Right-of-Way permit allows a contractor to use the public street right-of-way for purposes other than for the usual automobile, pedestrian and bicycle traffic. Construction of curbs or sidewalks, landscaping, building signs and underground wire or plumbing infringe on the public street right-of-way.

The Vancouver right of way bond guarantees that the contractor will l fill up, restore, and place in good safe condition all openings and excavations made in streets, sidewalk, curb, or alleyway, where excavation has been made and warranty the wear and tear expected for a period of twenty-four (24) months from completion of the work. The contractor must also maintain adequate safeguards to protect persons and property from injury or damage during the project. The Vancouver contractor bond must be submitted to the City with permit application as follows:

Vancouver Public Works
Traffic Engineering and Operations
415 West 6th Street
Vancouver, WA 98660

The application may also be made and filed electronically here. Right-of-way permits can be obtained from the City’s Engineering Service Permit Counter on a limited schedule. The Permit Center is located on the first floor of Vancouver City Hall and the application maybe be downloaded in lieu of e-filing.

If you are also acting as a specialty or general contractor, you must seek licensing from the L&I. A Washington contractor's license bond is required to obtain state licensing.

Washington surety bond leader, Surety One, Inc. is a specialist in providing for the bonding needs of construction, plumbing, electrical and HVAC contractors. We offer this class of surety bond and performance bonds to all applicants in EVERY state where contractors must be bonded. Although personal credit is a factor in surety bond underwriting, we have programs to fit every credit condition. Call (800) 373-2804, email or click here for a live chat regarding a Vancouver contractor's license bond (right of way bond) application or to discuss your particular needs.

Surety bond application review and quoting are free of charge. There is no obligation to purchase.

A “contractor’s bond” is one of the most common surety bond needs in the North American market but what does that term mean? MANY different parties may require a contractor to provide a "bond". Private and public project owners, state licensing boards and local municipalities all routinely require contractors to file a bond of one type or another to guarantee very specific things. Generally the need will fall in to one of these categories:

  • License & Permit Bonds (L&P) - required by states and municipalities to issue a contractor license. These may be simply “obey the code” obligations, or can include onerous wage guarantees.
  • Third Party Fidelity Bonds - also known as dishonesty bonds, insure dishonesty losses resulting from the contractor and his or her employees’ actions while providing services on a client’s premises (this is what a party refers to when he says, "We are bonded.").
  • Contract performance bonds: bid bonds, payment and performance bonds for particular projects.