In Iowa the law requires that all individual contractors and businesses performing “construction” work within Iowa be registered with the Division of Labor if they earn at least $2,000 a year from that work. If your principal place of business is located outside the State of Iowa, you must file a $25,000 surety bond to register. Having a branch office in Iowa does not make you an in-state contractor if your business is principally based outside of Iowa.  Don’t lie about about it!  That is a $500 fine if they catch you.  The out of state contractor bond guarantees that you pay all taxes, penalties and other monies due to the State of Iowa as a result of your work in Iowa. Your surety bond must be prepared using the bond form provided by the Division of Labor Services.  You must file the original bond when you apply for your construction contractor registration number.  Surety One, Inc., national surety leader is a preferred provider of contractor license bonds in all states. We offer these to experienced and legitimate applicants regardless of credit condition. For Iowa out of state contractor bond applications or information about other surety products visit us at, call (787) 333-0222 or (800) 373-2804, or email  Recuérde siempre que también hablamos su idioma.