Pawnbrokers are considered a form of financial institution and are regulated as one. A pawnbroker surety bond is currently required by approximately twenty states and many municipalities. Generally the surety bond amount is small and guarantees only that the pawn operator will operate within the parameters of the laws that regulate them. Most bond forms also contain provisions that protect property pledgors from damages resulting from the pawnbroker’s acts with regard to items deposited in pawn. Responsibilities guaranteed by the pawnbroker bond generally include:
• Compliance with state laws and administrative codes.
• The receipt and secure warehousing of third party property.
• Maintain proper business records, receipts and if firearms, NICs checks.
• Deliver timely reports with the pawnshop regulator if required.
• Return property promptly, in the condition in which it was received, as the quoted price.
• Follow the laws that regulate liquidating unredeemed property or forfeiture..
In 2008, the Nationwide Multistate Licenseing System (NMLS) created by the Conference of State Bank Supervisors (CSBS) and the American Association of Residential Mortgage Regulators, began operation. It is THE system of record for non-depository, financial services licensing or registration in participating state agencies. A pawnshop seeking a state (not local) license may be obligated to file its pawnbroker surety bond through this system. Surety One, Inc. is a credentialed NMLS e-bond writer so “same day” pawbroker filing is available.
National surety bond leader, Surety One, Inc. is a specialist in the bonding needs of the pawnbroker occupsation. We offer surety and fidelity bonds in support of pawn operations in all fifty states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Learn more here and feel free to contact us with your questions about pawnbroker bonds or any other surety bond need in support of your enterprise. If you are a multi-state or large regional operator, contact our chief underwriter Constantin Poindexter about our special discount pawnbroker bond program at (800) 373-2804.