To operate a collection agency in the State of Utah you must obtain the appropriate license and provide a Utah collection agency bond.  The state regulator advises that under provisions of Title 12 of the Utah Code, no person shall conduct a collection agency, collection bureau, or collection office in this state, or engage in this state in the business of soliciting the right to collect or receive payment for another of any account, bill, or other indebtedness, or advertise for or solicit in print the right to collect or receive payment for another of any account,bill, or other indebtedness, unless at the time of conducting the collection agency, collection bureau, collection office, or collection business is registered with the Division of Corporations and Commercial Code as and provided an Utah collection agency bond.  The bond must be issued in the amount of $10,000 and “shall provide that the person giving it shall, upon written demand, remit the collection proceeds to or for the person for whom any account, bill, or other indebtedness is taken for collection in accordance with the collection agreement.”  The Division of Corporations and Commercial Code may specify the form of the bond and may require it to contain additional provisions and conditions it considers necessary or proper to protect the persons for whom the collection is undertaken. Beware!  If you also do commercial CREDIT collections there are other procedures that you must follow. The national surety leaderSurety One, Inc., is a specialist in the bonding needs of the financial sector.  We will issue collection agency bonds for ALL applicants in every state where bonding is required. We offer superlative fidelity bond coverages as well to protect against losses due to employee dishonesty.  Visit the Utah surety specialist at, call (787) 333-0222 or (800) 373-2804, or email for an Utah collection agency bond application or information about any bond product.